The Namib100 Hike
- Carry only your daypack as you hike the enchanting Namib desert
- Enjoy desert hospitality from our excellent support team
- Fire-side dining under a canopy of stars each night
- Walk the Langewand, where gigantic dunes meet the ocean
- View abundant birdlife in the Sandwich Harbour lagoon
- Stand in awe of the Eduard Bohlen and Shawnee shipwrecks
Hiking into the forbidden land!
The Namib100 is not your average run-of-the-mill hike, but rather in a bucket-list league of its own with the likes of Kilimanjaro, the Grand Canyon and the Camino de Santiago.
This fully catered, fully supported five-day slackpacking hike in the Namib, the oldest desert on earth, will overwhelm you with a sense of total freedom and inspiration. It’s an area that answers to names like the Forbidden Land, Sperrgebiet and Skeleton Coast, where numerous shipwrecks stand witness to the power of nature over man.
This is a Live the Journey ‘Exclusive’ hike, which means that as a concession holder, we have exclusive rights to host a limited number of hikes in the Namib Desert concession. The 100 km five-day hike originates a few kilometres outside of Walvis Bay and ends at the wreck of the famous Eduard Bohlen, which was stranded in 1909.
Distance: 100 km.
Duration: 5 Nights/ 6 Days (not including pre-/ post days)
Group size: Groups are limited to only 24 hikers.
Rating: Level 6 and 7 – although it is not a difficult hike, endurance and stamina is required.
Please also visit namib100hike.com for more information.
DAY 0: ARRIVAL WALVIS BAY
It is recommended that you arrive in Walvis Bay at least one day prior to the departure of the hike. A communal dinner and briefing session will take place at Lagoon Chalets on day 0 at 19:00. (Dinner for your own account.)
DAY 1: DISTANCE 20.57 KM, ELEVATION 411 M
The support vehicles will meet the group at Lagoon Chalets. The transfer from Lagoon Chalets to the starting point (50 kms) will be in special converted 4x4 vehicles. Today you will experience Sandwich Harbour’s huge and abundant bird and sea life. Sandwich Harbour was classified as a Ramsar wetland of international importance in 1995.
DAY 2: DISTANCE 25.25 KM, ELEVATION 72 M
Today you will pass huge seal colonies on your way to the Langewand where the dunes drop directly into the ocean. It is only possible to walk the Langewand at low tide as you will be trapped between the perpendicular dunes and mighty Atlantic during high tide.
DAY 3: DISTANCE 23.66 KM, ELEVATION 258 M
Today you will encounter the wreck of the Shawnee that stranded in 1976. The skeleton of this wreck will remind you that this coastline is the book of remembrance. You will also turn inland to walk the dunes. Standing on top of a dune will give you a different perspective, emphasizing how insignificant we are in the bigger picture.
DAY 4: DISTANCE 19.57 KM, ELEVATION 95 M
Today you will see a completely different face of the Namib. You move down from the dunes to a grit plain that will surprise you with its micro life - from the dancing white lady spider to the smallest of succulents. Your camp will be near one of the old mining settlements where wind-washed buildings are engulfed by Namib sand.
DAY 5: DISTANCE 11 KM, ELEVATION 113 M
Today you will turn towards the sea again, crossing pink saltpans and ancient ocean floors littered with shells, occasionally catching sight of the wreck of the Eduard Bohlen in the distance. The Bohlen stranded on 5 September 1909 and it is also at the Bohlen where the hike ends. The group is transported by 4x4 vehicles over some of the highest dunes on earth into the deep Namib Desert where they will spend their last night.
DAY 6: ARRIVAL WALVIS BAY
After breakfast, the group is transported in a convoy back to Walvis Bay.
Dates available for 2020:
- 18 – 23 October 2020 (2 places available)
- 02 – 07 November 2020 (3 places available)
- 30 November – 5 December 2020 (6 places available)
Dates available for 2021:
- 12 – 17 January 2021
- 25 February – 02 March 2021 (1 place already booked)
- 12 – 17 March 2021 (Fully booked)
- 10 – 15 April 2021 (8 places already booked)
- 07 – 12 August 2021 (9 places already booked)
- 07 – 12 September 2021 (8 places available)
- 05 – 10 November 2021 (2 places already booked)
- 05 – 10 December 2021
TOUR PRICE VALID UNTIL 31 DECEMBER 2021:
R18,900.00 per person
- Three meals per day during the hike
- Limited beer and wine will be available each evening
- Drinking water – 5 litres per person per day
- Water for showering – 5 litres per person per day
- Transport from Walvis Bay to the starting point, transport from the Eduard Bohlen to Elephant's Camp in the Namib where you will spend your last night and transport from Elephant's Camp back to Walvis Bay, all in convoy-style with 4x4 vehicles.
- Your luggage will be transported during the trip. Please make sure to pack light and use ‘soft’ baggage. You will only have to hike with your daypack.
- Support team of 4x4 vehicle convoy and 5 guides
- Shower and chemical toilet at each overnight campsite
- Concession fees*
- Park fees
- Vehicle park fees
- Community levy
*Concession fees are paid to the Topnaars. The Topnaar community, proud custodians of the Namib Desert, received concession rights from the Ministry of Environment and Tourism. The concession rights allows the Topnaar community to control, protect and conserve the desert, the !Nara plants, Topnaar graves, historical homesteads as well as the fauna and flora of this area. In Live the Journey, the Topnaars found a worthy partner, a company that honours and understands the heart of the Namib Desert and all it holds.
- Pre and post travel arrangements (travel by road, flights, accommodation).
- Travel insurance – to be taken out within 48 hours of first payment made towards the tour. Travel insurance must include cover for extreme adventure and must include emergency medical evacuation cover by air.
- Snacks and drinks that you would like to take on the hike.
- Camping gear and bedding (can be hired at extra cost).
- Communal dinner and all drinks at info session on day 0.
- Transfers to Lagoon Chalets and back if you are not staying there pre/ post the hike.
- Visa fees (if applicable)