Botswana Family Safari Adventure
- Okavango Delta
- Central Kalahari Game Reserve
- San Bushmen Interaction
- Game Drives, mokoro rides and game walks
Spoil your family with a 6-night safari adventure to Botswana. Experience a unique combination of the arid landscapes of the Kalahari and the gleaming waterways of the lush Okavango Delta.
Suitable for children of all ages you are guaranteed to make memories that your family will talk about for years to come. Walk with the San (Bushmen) and learn all about these incredible people, enjoy expertly guided game drives, glide along seemingly endless watercourses and discover the wonders of the bush on foot.
If you’re not sure which time of year to go, read more about Botswana’s seasons here.
DAY 01 - 04: MAUN – CENTRAL KALAHARI
Welcome to Botswana. Upon arrival in Maun you will be met by a representative of Delta Air who will assist you to the light aircraft and onward air transfer to Deception Valley Lodge.
DECEPTION VALLEY LODGE
Set on 15,000 hectares of private reserve, bordering the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, Deception Valley Lodge was one of the first lodges to be established in this area. With a stunning location overlooking the waterhole, each of the 8 very spacious suites has a bedroom, separate lounge area, en-suite bathroom with Victorian bath and outdoor shower. The family room includes a double bed and two singles and an extra mattress can be added for families with 3 children. The lodge boasts a swimming pool, several indoor and outdoor areas in which to relax and dine and, in a nod to the remoteness of the location, wireless internet delivered by satellite. With its own airstrip a short 15-minute drive from the lodge, Deception Valley Lodge is a mere 30 minutes by air from Maun.
Interaction with the Bushmen is an integral part of the Kalahari experience guests enjoy at Deception Valley Lodge. Younger children enjoy being active and join the Bushmen trackers on walks. They are shown how to make their own bows and arrows and even attempt making fire with two sticks. During the summer months the supply of “veldkos” (Bush tucka) is prolific and children can taste the berries, tsammas, and “skilpadkos” (Kalahari salad).
Although the Kalahari cannot sustain herds of elephant, a few have made their appearance on their way to the Boteti River. There are also many new arrivals that families can enjoy sightings of during their stay: young kudu, wildebeest and hartebeest enjoy the cooler morning temperatures by chasing one another across the green veld, so different from the arid landscape in winter. Kalahari thunder storms are spectacular and glorious sunsets at the end of still hot days bring welcome cool breezes. Although cloudy skies make star gazing more challenging, the story of Orion and the Bushmen’s version lends itself to some wonderful stories after dinner.
At night, the sound of a male lion roaring at the waterhole is always a reminder of the African wilderness and the story of The Lion King. With cooler night times, families enjoy a marshmallow “braai” around the veld fire, and rainy afternoons are ideal for pancakes. Hot chocolate is a favourite with parents too. Chefs Nishka and Emily serve freshly made pasta and hamburgers to satisfy young appetites. Not forgetting teenagers, the lodge has Wi-Fi which they enjoy during their stay.
Overnight at Deception Valley Lodge on a full board basis including all meals, teas, coffees and snacks, drinks (soft drinks, water, beers, select wines and select spirits), laundry, activities, government taxes and park fees.
DAY 04 – 07: CENTRAL KALAHARI – OKAVANGO DELTA
After breakfast at Deception Valley Lodge, you will depart by light aircraft to Delta Camp.
Delta Camp is set in the forest of a large, beautiful and palm-studded island on the south western edge of Chief’s Island, bordering the Moremi Game Reserve in the heart of the Okavango Delta. The Okavango, with its crystal-clear channels, lily-studded lagoons, sweeping floodplains and countless islands is home to over 450 bird species, a spectacular array of plant species and the full spectrum of African game. The Okavango has earned its reputation as one of the world's premier wilderness areas.
Delta Camp welcomes children and some of our rooms have three or four beds to accommodate families. We have no age restrictions as we believe you know your children and their capabilities and as you will not be going on safari with other guests, you have no one but yourselves to consider.
Dine in the elegant dining room overlooking the sweep of the Delta, viewing the surrounding floodplains and the wildlife that abounds. Take a picnic lunch and go out for the whole day, wandering some of the many nearby islands for a secluded and intimate wildlife experience. Delta Camp offers the purest traditional Okavango Delta experience – local guides, hand-made wooden dug-out mekoro, no motorised activities, no generators in camp – we revel in the tranquillity that brought us here in the first place. Delta Camp’s guests enjoy the luxury of their own private guide. Our guides are locals - this is a man of the swamp, born and raised in the area, and you will spend your days in his mokoro (pl. mekoro), gliding through the floodplains and channels, and walking under his guidance on some of the many islands in the area, taking in the magnificent scenery and light as well as the abundant game and bird-life of the Okavango.
Overnight at Delta Camp on a full board basis including all meals, teas, coffees and snacks, drinks (soft drinks, water, beers, select wines and select spirits), laundry, activities, government taxes and park fees.
DAY 07: DEPARTURE
Enjoy an early morning safari, after which breakfast is served. Depart Delta Camp via light aircraft to Maun for your onward journey.
END OF SERVICES
- Light aircraft transfer from Maun Airport to Central Kalahari Game Reserve
- 3 Nights Deception Valley Lodge including all meals, teas, coffees and snacks, drinks (soft drinks, water, beers, select wines and select spirits), laundry, activities, government taxes and park fees
- Light aircraft transfer from the Central Kalahari Game Reserve to the Okavango Delta
- 3 Nights Delta Camp including all meals, teas, coffees and snacks, drinks (soft drinks, water, beers, select wines and select spirits), laundry, activities, government taxes and park fees
- Light aircraft transfer from the Okavango Delta to Maun Airport
- International flights to/ from Maun
- Visa fees, if applicable
- Guide and staff gratuities
- Any items of a personal nature
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance
- This offer is valid for children when sharing with 2 full paying adults, maximum 2 children per room. Subject to availability of the family rooms at the time of booking.
- Botswana is situated in a Malaria area. Please consult your travel clinic or physician for a recommendation on suitable prophylaxis.
- Prices for air transfers, landing fees, airport taxes or park fees may be changed without prior notice. This is beyond our control and any increase levied will be for guests account.
- Luggage on small aircraft is limited to 20 kg per person including hand luggage, packed in soft-sided bags - no rigid frames will be permitted.
- Parents of children under the age of 18 may be required to produce an unabridged birth certificate for each child, when entering or leaving the borders of South Africa.